header image

History

The mansion at Ditchley was built by the second Earl of Litchfield, a member of the Lee family, in 1722, to a design by James Gibbs.  It stands on the site of an earlier timber-framed family house in classic north Oxfordshire wooded farmland, once the royal hunting ground of Wychwood Forest.

The entries in this section give the history of the house and its owners and describe the visits there of Sir Winston Churchill before and during the Second World War.